Tripod and Head recommendations

Started Dec 27, 2012 | Questions thread
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157
Like?
Re: My requirements were like yours
In reply to Osvaldo Cristo, Jan 6, 2013

Very sound advice Oswaldo!

I have two Gitzo traveller tripods (GT1541/GT2542L) which I'm very happy with and almost bought the Acratech GP-s but found a used Arca-Swiss P0 which like the Acratech heads allows you to level the top of the tripod for perfect panorama captures. The larger tripod has a RRS BH-30LR which I sometimes attach a Novoflex Castel-Q focusing rack for fine adjusting focus on macro shots.

Most of the gear I purchase is ultra-light for hiking. However the best tripod head I've bought is the Manfrotto 410 geared head. It is far easier to exactly position the lens in minute increments. Using it and the macro slide makes setting up exacting angles in the miniature world of macro a breeze.

There are of course lots of asian knock-off copies of  Gitzo RRS Manfrotto etc. which I think would suffice for a limited time. The quality and follow-up on any guarantee is worth the extra price for original manufacturers products. Also by buying the pirated equipment you fail to support further development of the innovative manufacturers.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow