Mac Mini: Please help me figure out where I should invest my upgrade?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Questions thread
Bill Heiser
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Re: Mac Mini: Please help me figure out where I should invest my upgrade?
In reply to elliotn, Jan 6, 2013

Yes, I suspect that after upgrading the RAM and installing an SSD you will still find Lightroom performance annoyingly slow.

I have the 2.5Ghz Core-i5 version of the 2011 Mini with 16GB ram installed. I replaced the stock 5400rpm drive with a WD Caviar Black 7200rpm drive, and added a Crucial M4 SSD. The OS and some frequently-accessed files reside on the SSD and other "user files" reside on the new HD. My image files are shared from a Windows PC (was Windows 7, now is Windows 8 Pro). Most of my image files are 12-16MB.

I, too, find LR4 and CS6 sluggish even in this configuration. I've attributed much of the sluggishness to the sharing of the image files from the PC. I'm exploring Thunderbolt RAID devices but has been mentioned, they are very pricey - and even worse, I'm much such a large investment having read stories of issues with Thunderbolt storage (arrays going offline, etc).

Anyway, for the OP, upgrading the RAM and installing an SSD and/or faster HDD will certainly help, but this may or may not get to the performance level you're seeking, depending on your expectations (YMMV)...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow