Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TAM63
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
Macro lens for D5100
Jan 5, 2013

My friend and I went for it - got her a D5100 with the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses.  Not my idea of the perfect lenses, but I couldn't get a body only, and these were in the price range.  She can use them to get started, and upgrade one day.

The thing she will need to add though is a macro lens.  She wants to take real closeups of flowers (yeah I know, but she loves it).  She's fine with getting a used lens.

So what would you suggest, for a budget macro lens, so I can keep my eye out for one?

Is autofocus even anything to bother with in a macro lens?  I'm thinking she would use it only for macro, as she has the other lenses to cover a pretty wide range.  I know I have an old manual focus 55mm nikkor micro, and I love it.  But she's never done macro photography - does autofocus even work for macro shots?

On an unrelated note, wow is that D5100 with the 18-55 a different feel from my D7000 with the 18-70.  I feel even more in love with my D7000.  But I think my friend will love the D5100 - she'll like the scene modes, and the flippy screen - I hope!

TAM63's gear list:TAM63's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Nikon D5100 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow