Mako2011 wrote:

nuggy wrote:

I just can't get a sharp shot with my D7k....help

1/10 sec

100 iso

35mm lens

f11

on a tripod

Very hard to say as most the important EXIF info is removed by Adobe. The picture uploaded is also very small so hard to zoom in and check blur properties. Many things can cause this to be soft and since the other pic was sharp...have to assume the camera is not the issue. With 1/10: did you use MLU mode or perhaps LiveView to eliminate the effects of mirror slap on a tripod? Was wind a player? Did you hang a weight from the tripod to assure the tripod was rock steady? Did you employ a remote release. What are your Picture control setting set to if this was a OOC Jpeg? What focus mode and AF-Area mode was used? What tripod? At 1/10 sec....even a good one can have problems with this scene depending on footing, wind, and other things.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Hi Mako!

What other exif info do you need?

The software that comes with the camera, combined with other software, let me see every camera setting you have set at the time of exposure. Very helpful for trouble shooting problems.

Yeah, the pic is small, I can upload a larger one I suppose.

Will be very helpful if it is the file that came from the camera before using adobe or such on it. Upload a jpeg directly as it comes from the camera to your gallery here (no cropping or PP in another program)
Then go here http://www.dpreview.com/members/settings/profile
And under the "allow download of originals" check "Allow visitors to download full size original images from your gallery" That way we can download the pic to ViewNX2 and check the camera settings you used. That assumes you uploaded pics/files as they came from the camera vs any change in Photoshop or the like.

Never thought to use MLU or live view - not used to those options yet. No wind. I shoot RAW only, AF-C Maybe I am still suffering from a learning curve or I stink at this....

MLU and LiveView can be critical to getting really sharp pics in the scenario you have here.

If you shoot RAW only and you uninstalled ViewNX2...then you may have lost the ability to see the camera settings you shot with. Adobe, I think, removes most of them at conversion to JPEG and you also lose the ability to check focus points. (unless you have a way to point us to the original NEF for download) Check that your menu a3 is set to "off". Default is "3" and that will cause focus errors later with many situation. Good Luck

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I will keep practicing - a3 is off.  Maybe I will reload ViewNX2 and upload some samples.  I tried to upload a large jpeg to my gallery here in hopes to give you the data you needed buy no such luck.   Thanks, Mako - you are the best!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow