dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,599
Like?
Re: Lots of people "stuck" in their ways
In reply to skyglider, Jan 5, 2013

skyglider wrote:

Emeka U wrote:

migibson99 wrote:

I think Vista suffered from this to some degree. I don't think it was nearly as bad as people made it out to be, but there was (and is) a perception that Vista was a complete debacle, so......it became a debacle in the minds of most people.

agree 100%. I had Windows Vista when i built my current rig...and couldn't understand why so many hated it.

I can tell you why I hate Vista. Vista is a hard drive hog! I've run WinXP, Vista, Win7 and now Win8 in 64GB partitions. WinXP, Win7 and Win8, (plus installed programs), all use only about half to 2/3 of the 64GB partition at most. Over time, Vista with the same amount of installed programs filled the partition with only 2GB free forcing me to remove stuff. No, it wasn't because of more data in the Vista partition since I keep all of my data in separate partitions or drives. Plus, even though I disabled indexing and whatever I could, Vista kept doing stuff to my hard drive so the led was constantly flashing. Put me down as a Vista hater!

IMHO, people (not you) who vehemently support Windows 8 tend (in large part) to be dismissive and (in some cases) insulting to those who do not. I personally do not like the Windows 8 UI, but I am not stupid, lazy, old fashioned or close minded, and I am not a crotchety old man. I've seen all of these words used to describe those who refuse to embrace Windows 8, including in this thread.

Okay fair enough, but did you know that the Metro interface is gone in one keystroke, and you don't need to interact with it through the majority of your computing experience. My point is, the metro interface is an add-on, not a "you must use it" feature. That said, my frustration generally comes about because I read people chastising the OS so strongly, and upon reading some of the comments it does become quite clear that those with the strongest negative opinions also have little or no experience using the OS.

You may like the Win8 UI but I don't like having to scroll the UI to click on a program I want to run. With the Win7 desktop UI (and desktop UI in Win8), I can put icons for every program on one screen and just click the one I want without scrolling. When using the Win8 UI, can the Win8 tiles be made smaller so all of my programs can have an icon without having to scroll the screen? If so, how?

Right click the tile and there should be an option to "Make Smaller" (along with options to unpin from the Metro screen, Pin to the Taskbar, or uninstall).  This way you can make all your tiles the 1x1 squares.  If I were to do that, I would guess I'd be able to fit 30-40 of them on a single 23" screen without need to scroll.  Much better than the All Programs list in the Win7 Start Menu.

for those with Win 7, there may be no compelling reason to upgrade. I saw an opportunity to try a new OS for $40, and took it, and I'm very happy that I did. My main concern is all the vitriol about Win 8. I constantly read posts about people buying a new machine and being upset that they have to have Win 8! Why is that a problem is my question.

My question to you is why did Microsoft remove the Win7 start menu from Win8 when it was already in the development version of Win8?

I'm not really sure why they didn't leave it in as an option buried in the settings somewhere.  Perhaps it was to force people to just try the new interface instead of immediately jumping back to XP classic, or whatever.

There are, in my view, a number of advantages to the new UI that people are simply refusing to see because they refuse to try because it's new, and they're comfortable with old.  Maybe it'll come back in Win9 once people have given Metro a proper chance.

And IMO to re-install the old start menu before learning Win 8's interface is another big mistake, kind of like buying a new camera and asking for the same software you had on the old camera...all before even taking it out of the box.

What could it possibly have hurt to have left the Win7 start menu functionality in Win8? If it was left in and there was an option to boot directly to the desktop, that would have given people time to use Win8 productively as they used previous versions of Windows. Then the Win8 UI would just be a click away and they could learn the Win8 UI with all the time in the world.

How much productive time do you really waste by needing to click the "Desktop" tile whenever you boot up?

You criticize folks who don't like the Win8 UI but what would have been the harm to have left the Win7 start menu in Win8 since it was already in it?

Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yepNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow