ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Syscrash
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Need help with lens purchase strategy
Jan 5, 2013

Hello fellow photo fanatics!
I have recently upgraded from a Canon powerzoom into an entry-level DSLR -- the Rebel 4ti -- which came bundled with the following lens:
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II
Its a solid lens, covering the basics of what I need out of the box.  But now I am now entering into the hell known as "what lens should I buy next?"  I am not targeting professional grade, only ambitious amatuer. Here are my goals with this camera and my lens purchase strategy:
1. Only buy lenses that have a good chance of lasting until my next camera upgrade, possibly to a professional grade body
2. First, get a lens that addresses my normal shooting scnearios (aka without a tri-pod):
- Everyday, general shooting of people and places
- Mid-level zoom to cover outdoor shooting of sporting events and animal/landscape shots
- Some video recording
3. Progress into:
- In-door, low-light shooting, such as wedding receptions, chistmas day, etc.
- Portraits, including headshots
4. Then expand into more advanced shooting scenarios, such as:
- Macro
- Night-time
- Extreme distance shooting with tri-pod or mono-pole
(Please note that I plan to get a decent speedlight, one that can deflect and diffuse the flash, first to aid in my low-light shooting scenarios. Then also upgrade to a better one, for master slave scenarios.)
Here's my plan:
1. Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM : Regular, mid-level zoom lens for everyday shooting (aka My go-to lens), including sports, indoor concerts and occasional low-light shooting.
2. Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM: Everyday, in-door, low-light shooting scenarios, including portraits, wedding receptions, christmas morning, etc.
3. Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom: Distance zoom, for shooting sports, general landscapes, animals, etc - day and night shooting.  Of course, I'll need to win the lottery first before buying this one.
My questions are:
1. Is my head on straight as far as a strategy goes for my needs?
2. Are the options I have chosen good or should I be looking at something better?  Really interested in whether or not my second lens should be the 35mm f/1.4L or 55mm f/1.2L lens given the scenarios I plan to shoot.
3. Since I am not planning a lot of movie shooting, I have not looked into STM lenses, but definitely want to get rid of the AF noise when using the bundled EF-S less (not STM or USM).  I've read that USM focuses too quickly for quality movie making, which can jar the viewer from the clip.  Whereas the STM option gives a slower, more exceptable effect when a movie changes focus.  Since Im not making high-end movies (clips of kids romping around and such), should I worry at all about this phenomena?
Sorry for making you read a book AND thank you in advance for all your assistance!
Syscrash

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow