Canon 90EX flash as a Master unit for a beginner?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
DoctorPDA
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Re: Canon 90EX flash as a Master unit for a beginner?
In reply to TangoMan, Jan 5, 2013

TangoMan wrote:

You could have a lot of fun buying two manual flashes and something like the RF-602 or RF-603.

Examples of manual flashes are Vivitar 285, Yongnuo 460 (http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gadgets/277273/yongnuo-yn460-hotshoe-flashgun), some sunpak, etc.

The rf-602 and 603 are radio triggers and will work all the time under any conditions, with the flash not needing to be in direct line of sight with anything.

Just some thoughts from a hard core off-camera flash shooter.

The whole kit would cost you less than just one canon flash, and the light quality is just the same: it only depends on the modifiers you use.

It is manual, meaning that you have to set up your lights, and do some tests, but when it's done, you just set the camera to manual and all the pictures in the lighted area will be nicely exposed, with variations only if you subject moves away from the lights (you can open up the aperture or increase the sensitivity (ISO) to compensate).

Appreciate the response.  I looked into those items.  I think I'd like to try manual flash, but would also like to see how E-TTL works.

My goal is to take photos of family (baby, family) at home.  I'm not a professional, so I don't want to go overboard with spending, but I want better flash than my on camera flash.  I was thinking of just getting flash off camera by getting a 430 EX II ($250) and a Vello E-TTL cord that is 33' (~ $50), and also an umbrella with stand (maybe ~ $75 to $100).  That way I can experiment with off camera flash and hopefully get better photos.  Does that sound reasonable?

I could always upgrade later, by getting a master flash (ex. 580 EX II) (that is ~ $500 so a bit much for me now), and use the 430 EX II as a slave, and maybe get a softbox.

Thanks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow