Advice to owners of RAW-enabled Powershot: SHOOT RAW !!!

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Roberto Piazza
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Re: I only shoot in JPEG. Even with the PowerShot G11
In reply to Marco Nero, Jan 5, 2013

ciao Marco (di origini italiane?

I also understand your POV: I have shot jpgs-only for more than ten years, getting nice results. And I have never shot jpg in auto-mode "out of the camera", but always liked to look for the "sweet spot" of the lens, then mainly shoot in Av, carefully setting the "style" I liked the most (typically: low contrast, high sharpness), understand the need of exposure compensation, use bracketing in case, and so on.

It's just that I've found out that with RAWS you can get something more... we all know that basically you can always get something more.

This "something" varies from "few" (with the "do nothing approach", when I found out that just the simple "batch conversion" with a proper setting would provide better resulting jpgs than the analogous parameters set in the camera), to "a lot" when, as I said, I have played in deeper details with color temperature, shadow/higlights, midtones etc.

Another very important thing: I like the fact that having -and keeping- the RAW is just having -and keeping- the scene of your shot, cryogenically freezed - with RAWS this is true, with any jpeg this is not: you already just own an "interpretation" of the scene.

Many times it happened to me to edit a jpg, like it, save it... just to judge it -after weeks or months- not quite successful.
How to render it some other way? Impossible with a JPG, easy with a RAW on your disk: your are still there, on the scene.

But yes, you are right: nobody wants to argue here: I see the issue - it was no good to write "don't shoot jpeg, shoot raw" - the proper sentence would better be "if you shoot jpeg, try also raw".

Like this, in the end, it becomes as trying to cook some new dish... when you have tried it, if the taste is worth the effort you keep on, otherwise you don't, and get back

- roberto

-- hide signature --

>
>>
>>> www.picasaweb.google.ch/errepizeta

Roberto Piazza's gear list:Roberto Piazza's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow