Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,049Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro
In reply to pedikab, Jan 5, 2013

I had this exact same situation with B&H in Aug and Sept (I wonder if they sent the same lenses to you)

I ordered the lens for my A57.

I contacted Sigma about both lenses and the tech service told me that both lens serial numbers were supposedly after the cut-in for the new chip and should work with my camera.

If i sent then lens in Sigma would have looked at it for free (I would have had to pay for shipping), but if I am buying an AF lens new then I expect it to work - not have to send it off to get it working.

So I asked for a refund and eventually found the lens locally for the same price, and it did work straight out of the box.

If you have a local store, they sometimes match other prices (when I first ordered the lens from B&H, my local store didnt  have it in stock and I would have had to make a special order, and the price was about $100 + tax more expensive)

Although I didnt end up buying from B&H, my experience with them was positive. They were always helpful and polite when i was dealing with them and they processed the refund very quickly after they received the lens back.

If you are willing to try for a third lens, I would recommend that you ask for one with a serial number starting with 128 (mine does and it works fine)  both of the lenses I got from B&H started with 123.

I am very happy with the lens itself - it is on my camera pretty much all the time. If you look in my gallery, pretty much all of the photos from the last 6 months are with that lens.

Good luck with whatever decision you decide to go with

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow