Sports mode on MY SX50HS is NOT horrible!

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stephen Ingraham
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Sports mode on MY SX50HS is NOT horrible!
Jan 5, 2013

Okay, I tested it today, just to be sure, and on my SX50HS, when I put the control dial on the little sprinter (Sports Mode)...

1) In the eyelevel finder, in good light, I see either the image between frames, or the frames as they are captured (not sure which)...certainly enough to follow action, including birds in flight. The finder definitely does NOT remain dark while you have the shutter release down. It flickers as the images are captured.

2) as long as you have half-pressed the shutter and the camera has picked up your subject and is following focus...BEFORE you full press the shutter release...the camera does focus between frames...as long as your subject remains relatively close to the center of the frame. (Which is why you want to follow the action). You can actually hear it focusing.

3) the camera is shooting at something close to 5fps...certainly much faster than the 2.2 in continuous, and apparently faster than the 4 fps with focus in high speed burst.

4) processing is limited to fine, but at full resolution.

This is one sample of the SX50HS..and a very early production unit at that...but I can not imagine that they took these features out of subsequent units.

Stephen Ingraham's gear list:Stephen Ingraham's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha NEX-3N NEX5R Olympus OM-D E-M10 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow