Looking for advice on which lens to get for outdoor sports

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
DWEverett
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for advice on which lens to get for outdoor sports
In reply to kramericaman, Jan 5, 2013

I don't use Canon so haven't used the 100-400 but based on what I've seen it's a good choice. The other thing you could try is putting something like a 1.4 or 1.7 teleconverter on your lens. That's the route I've gone (using a 1.4) as I have a son playing soccer but daugthers doing a variety of indoor activities/sports. It's still not as long as I'd like but it works pretty well. It also has the advantage that I can pull it off if he has a night game and give up the focal length to get the extra stop of light. I'm using it on a D700 so you'll effectively have even more reach due to the APS-C sensor and more ability to crop after the fact with the higher resolution sensor.

I don't know if Canon has a 1.7 TC (and if so how it's viewed) but that's what I probably would have gone with if I had purchased the Nikon 70-200 instead of the Sigma (couldn't justify the extra $1,000) Sigma doesn't offer a 1.7 at this point.

Couple examples

This isn't a great shot but it gives you a sense of what part of the field I can cover (not sure how much I cropped this though)

DWEverett's gear list:DWEverett's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow