Indoor soccer shoot - WB nightmare ??

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Questions thread
DWEverett
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
Re: Indoor soccer shoot - WB nightmare ??
In reply to k27usa, Jan 5, 2013

k27usa wrote:

Hi all, Happy New Year - my daughters team has a tournament Sunday in one of those indoor "bubbles" that are popular here in the northeast. In the past, I've found this venue to be the MOST challenging to shoot in, the lighting in most is terrible. I'll have my 30D & 100-400 lens with me, any thoughts on what settings would be most beneficial ? My biggest worry is white balance? They have a combo of halogen & flouecsent and the place has an overall ghostlike feel to it.

Thanks in advance,

Dave B

I'm not sure what you use for PP but I agree with the recommendation to take a grey card and deal with the white balance later.  Sometimes the lights are cycling and you'll end up with different colors shot to shot which pretty much means PP is the only way to do it.

That said though, I would think you're really going to struggle to get a high enough shutter speed with that combination.  It sounds like you've done it before so maybe you're in a bubble with better light than the one my son used to play in but I could never really get anything remotely acceptable.  I never got to try it with my D700 but I was using an f2.8 lens on my old Sony A700 which is roughly the same era as the 30D (I think it actually came out at the same time as the 40D if I remember correctly) so the perfomance should be similar.  Even at it's max iso of 6400 I couldn't get a high enough shutter speed.  I tried to use a panning technique the one game which gave me a couple of mildly interesting shots but very few and none were really all that great.

DWEverett's gear list:DWEverett's gear list
Nikon D700 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow