ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ajbaker
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Novice tips for the northern lights
Jan 5, 2013

Hi all,

In February my wife and I travelling to Finland in the hope of finding the Northern Lights. I'm very much a novice photographer (but am not scared to use the manual mode), and hope people may be willing to offer tips or links to tutorials to help me out.

My kit consists of: Canon 550d, 18-55 kit lens, 50mm f/2.8 prime, Manfrotto tripod, UV filter, polariser. I'm hoping to purchase a Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 lens before I travel. I also have two batteries and normal padded camera bag.

From what I've read so far I needn't worry about filters, need use the tripod, set the lens to focus to infinity, choose an appropriate aperture (I'm thinking a relatively high to keep trees/hills in focus too) and then go with whatever Tv works given the available light. There must be a lot more to think about...

I'm generally happy with the technical aspects but always struggle with composition, so if anyone has things I should think about for the northern lights in particular, that would be appreciated.

What is the best way to prevent the camera and lens from freezing? Should I keep it wrapped up even when I am taking photographs?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow