SEL16F28 is blurry, is it permanently ruined?

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stimpy77
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
SEL16F28 is blurry, is it permanently ruined?
Jan 5, 2013

I have the SEL16F28 "pancake" lens for my Sony NEX-5N, and when I went to a trip to Argentina I tried to clean it while lying in bed because I noticed it was blurry. Apparently I made it worse, way worse, and in fact it's a useless lens now.

Blurry photo of what should have been a great shot.

Blurry photo of what should have been a great shot.

Perhaps I got cleaner fluid stuff inside the lens and it made its way into the focus gears and rusted them out, I don't know, but I do know that the lens is incapable of taking clear pictures anymore. These are some of the crappy pictures it now takes.

Hep me hep me

I just realized while uploading this that the mirror makes the aberrations much worse.

Here, cat. Pose. Look at me, cat. Look! I need a broken lens shot, cat, loooook!!

Without expanding these photos to full-screen it's hard to tell that there's a problem, and frankly that's partly how I managed to wait so long to get this thing diagnosed, because the preview display didn't show much of a problem. I mainly shoot for video, but my video output with this lens at 1080p is *useless*.
I did notice that there looks to be some kind of smudge or mark that I can't reach, it seems to be on the inside, but it most certainly doesn't fill the whole image like the blurriness of the photos does.

Any ideas?

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow