Does refurbished mean "just like new"?

Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jon_T
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
Re: Does refurbished mean "just like new"?
In reply to gdanmitchell, Jan 5, 2013

gdanmitchell wrote:

Karl Summers wrote:

I'm looking at a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 online. It's 'refurbished' and still sealed in the box. When a lens is refurbished, what exactly does that entail? Is it calibrated? Do they remove any dust behind the front element?

I can get this for $875 but I want to be sure this is going to be just like new and that there will be no focus issues.

Any thoughts or insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl

I do not know Canon's actual policies. However, in general "refurbished" products are those that were returned after purchase for technical reasons - something out of adjustment, something missing from the box, etc. They cannot be resold as new. Typically they would either be fixed/adjusted if there had been a real problem (sometimes there isn't) or else checked out to verify that they work within normal new product specs.

Canon refurbs come with a warranty, though it is shorter than that with new equipment. However, if you get a product with a real problem you should be able to have it fixed under warranty.

Canon refurbs warranty only for 90 days.  So far the Canon refurb items I been interested in buying, the price difference between the refurb price and online price of the new item with 1-year warranty has been small enough I bought the new item to have the full 1-year warranty.

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow