Canon 90 EX for beginner as a Master unit?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
DoctorPDA
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
Re: Canon 90 EX for beginner as a Master unit?
In reply to BAK, Jan 5, 2013

BAK wrote:

I've just read the online manual for the 90EX, and I think your 90EX on camera and 430EX II with an umbrella would work.

Sailor Blue wrote:

When I make a mistake I make a big one. The Canon 90 EX is indeed a master flash.

I will say that I personally wouldn't buy it since it lacks the tilt and swivel needed for bounce flash. I can't remember the last time I used an off-camera flash in TTL mode so basically I would still use the T2i built-in flash in manual power mode if I wanted an optical trigger for an off-camera flash with manual power control.

I appreciate all of the comments.

BAK.  I now see that the 90EX manual is available online (http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300009682/01/speedlite90ex-en-es-fr.pdf).  I looked on my menu on my T2i and it does have an option in the Menu for "Flash Control" ("external flash func setting" is listed in that menu), so appears I can control the 90EX via the T2i menu, and also control the 90EX throught the LCD as a Master Unit.

Sailor Blue.  This is my first time buying an off camera flash, and have only used DSLR for the past 6 months.  I don't know if I have enough knowledge yet for manual flash, but I bought a few books to learn about it.  I also have to figure out whether a soft box or umbrella is better for my use (portrait).

I'm leaning toward the 90EX, but now also looking into a long flash cord like this (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755549-REG/Vello_OCD_U33_Universal_Duo_TTL_Off_Camera.html), which is a Vello Universal Duo TTL Off-Camera Flash Cord (33'), after I read a little of Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook.  I don't mind the cord and it's cheaper, and I wouldn't have to worry about line-of-sight with the 90EX.  Does anyone have experience with this?  I would be using it with a 430 EX II.  Thoughts regarding 90EX vs cord?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow