Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,035Gear list
Like?
Imperfect comparison of a900 and RX100 at roughly same focal length
Jan 5, 2013

First, this comparison is NOT perfect, so easy with the flames please. It's very 'quick and dirty' as I have real work this weekend.

Anyway, a900 with 70-300mmG set to roughly 100mm. RX100 zoomed to max. [It's difficulty to get the same focal length across these two cameras, but I think I got it fairly close.] Same ISO 200 and aperture settings (yes, equivalency can be debated, since these cameras are so different).  Focus is on the black building at centre.

Shot in RAW and loaded into ACR and processed with the same settings (i.e., sharpness and noise reduction and white balance settings are identical). Then moved to Photoshop CS6 as 16bit files and resized for printing to A4 size using Perfect Resize (Genuine Fractals).

So basically, we see two images with roughly the same field of view (approx 100mm) as they would print to A4 size. What I'm crudely trying to do is to simulate what A4 prints would look like coming out of these two cameras with have different sensor sizes and pixel densities. Check them out in 'original size' ... they look blurry as embedded files here. I'll let you figure out which image comes from which camera.

-- hide signature --

NEX-7, Sony a900; SEL18-200mm, CZ135mm, CZ24-70mm, SAL70-300mmG, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8 macro, KM17-35mm, CZ16-80mm, KM11-18mm, SAL18-250mm
http://lh5.google.com.au/glennjude/Rsa2wUQ1RxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/TjvlEY5BpIA/s400/Pano%20-%20Glaciers%20and%20Temple.jpg

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow