Canon 90 EX for beginner as a Master unit?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,222Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 90 EX for beginner as a Master unit?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Jan 5, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

As far as I can tell from the specs the Canon 90EX is NOT a master flash. In fact the only master flash that Canon currently makes is the 600EX-RT. The recently discontinued 580EX II is also a master flash and can still be found for sale.

The 90EX would not do what you want. It is also fixed without the ability to tilt and rotate the flash head. Frankly it is not worth buying.

When I make a mistake I make a big one.  The Canon 90 EX is indeed a master flash.

I will say that I personally wouldn't buy it since it lacks the tilt and swivel needed for bounce flash.  I can't remember the last time I used an off-camera flash in TTL mode so basically I would still use the T2i built-in flash in manual power mode if I wanted an optical trigger for an off-camera flash with manual power control.

If I wanted an on-camera flash I would probably buy a TTL one since that is the one time I do use TTL, i.e. when the subject and I are moving a lot and the subject to flash distance is constantly changing.  Since I use bounce as much as possible I would go with something like the Nissin Di6222 II or the Yongnuo YN-565EX in the $150 price range.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow