WD
WD
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
Re: One thing that isn't imaginary...
In reply to intensity studios, Jan 5, 2013

intensity studios wrote:

eNo wrote:

There is a lot of pent-up demand for a D300/s update. That translates into a lot -- a lot -- of sales for Nikon. Do we think they are truly insane to pass that up?

For me the "will there be a D300/s upgrade?" question's answer is that simple.

From my perspective, Nikon has been trying to make some decisive, market-shaking moves. We can argue about how successful they've been, or how much they've fumbled, but starting with the 16MP D7000, then moving across to the 24MP D3200, they wanted to really become king in crop factor. With the D4, D800 and D600 trio, they staked a major claim in the full frame market -- which would have been more decisive with better pricing and quality control!

And now... big drum roll... it's time to take a big swing at the DX sophisticated enthusiast market, as well as the pro market that requires DX equipment. It's a big swing because making a high MP sensor that performs well, as in high FPS, low noise, solid DR, is no easy task. I think it's also very possible that Nikon is planning to package this DX sensor in a full-up body, to distinguish it further from the D7xxx, given the latter's already improved body structure (over the D90, D80, etc.).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imagesbyeduardo.com/main/wedding-photography-los-angeles-story-telling/
Seeking the heart and spirit in each image

There's actually not a lot of pent up demand for an expensive crop sensor camera, other than on this forum. Of all of the photographers that are actually pros, i.e. support themselves with photography alone or are shooting for magazines, none of them use crop sensor cameras.

The people advocating for a crop sensor camera that costs close to $2k is a very, very, very small but very vocal minority. (a D300s replacement would have to be substantially more expensive than the D7000 line for product differentiation)

-- hide signature --

I would like a poll taken of "pro" photographers with the following question:

IF YOU COULD USE A CAMERA OF 3/4 THE SIZE, 2/3 THE PRICE, 85% OF THE QUALITY OUTPUT OF A D800, WITH SMALLER, LIGHTER, LESS EXPENSIVE LENSES, HIGHER FPS, EQUAL ERGONOMICS AND FOCUSING ABILITY AND COMPATIBILITY WITH A MIRRORLESS SYSTEM AS WELL....WOULD YOU BUY INTO IT?  WOULD YOU CONSIDER IT A "PRO" CAMERA?

-- hide signature --

Warren

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
D400New
D4X?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow