I7 with 16GB or I5 with 32GB RAM? (my test)

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leo
Leo
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,015
Like?
Re: I've ordered :-)
In reply to kb2zuz, Jan 5, 2013

kb2zuz wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

27" iMac

• 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
  • 3TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA Drive
  • NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
  • APPLE MAGIC MOUSE
  • Apple WL Kybd+User's Guide-B
  • COUNTRY KIT-B

I just ordered a very similar machine (only differences being I ordered the 1TB "fusion" drive and the wired keyboard with the number pad instead). Doing the same thing about upgrading RAM from crucial or a similar 3rd party. Now it's a race to see who will get theirs first!

-- hide signature --

\~K

\~K and JulesJ,

\~K, you have order 3TB 7200 ATA because planning a separate SSD drive? In my previous post I have posted a link to the Apple Fusin dive:

"Achieving fusion—with a service training doc, Ars tears open Apple's Fusion Drive"

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/achieving-fusion-with-a-service-training-doc-ars-tears-open-apples-fusion-drive/

Apple Fusion Drive acts as a SSD until filled 110GB or so, then it will move oldest, less used files to its mechanical part.

What is ratio of still images to video in your activity? My order is below based on still images only. A2.9GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with only 8GB RAM would be approximately 30% slower than 3.4GHz I7 for still images and 230% faster for video previewed in real time. I am planning to upgrade RAM be adding 8GBx2 or 24GB total.

Here is the link to the test data:

http://www.barefeats.com/imac12p1.html

Here is my order:

• 2.9GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
  • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
  • 1TB Fusion
  • NVIDIA GeFrc GTX 6760M 512 MB
  • Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
  • Magic Trackpad

Getting Quad i5 3.2GH (next level) would also upgrade the video card to GTX 675MX with 1GB memory, which may be be useful (???) for HDR and panorama images in CS6. Also 3,2 i5 may run cooler than i7 3.4GHz (???).

Leo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow