Started Jan 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,392Gear list
Like?
K-01 First Impression...
Jan 5, 2013

Just got my new K-01 Black body... like others I couldn't resist any longer... WOW... That's my first impression after only a few hours handling it.

I guess it all depends on expectations. I upgraded from a K10D, and expected a nice P&S like camera, and the K-01 certainly delivers on that front. Not certain I can agree with all the criticisms out there, I think in many cases expectations are just too high. It's a fun camera (as shown by e.g. below using Retro digital filter), it feels quality unlike a vast majority of the plastic toys out there that claims to be cameras. When it came out I did handle the camera and was a bit reticent to buy because of the lack of OVF and the difficulty of my eyes to focus at close range, but was willing to overlook that aspect given the low price now. I bought it to keep me happy while Pentax-Ricoh figures out what will be next, and I may end up using it much longer than anticipated ! Yes it has limitations, it can't do everything anyone ever wanted in a camera, but it is still a heck of a camera and above all, fun to use. I find it comfortable, and have no issues what so ever with the green / red buttons, my index finger is not aching yet from a the little stretching it takes to reach them ;-); the grip is comfortable, and the weight helping stabilizing the camera. Its squareness is an asset, not a detriment if you actually hold it as any camera should and with a Ltd lens (21mm) just looks and feels great.

In short... I'm happy

Now... some initial not so fancy fooling around...

Stairs - Retro Digital Filter

Scooter - Retro Digital Filter

Cat - Various Digital Filter in Camera PP, ISO 3200 in near darkness !

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Pentax K-01 Pentax K10D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow