TZ30/ZS20: possible to scroll through images while zoomed in?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
saudidave
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
Re: TZ30/ZS20: possible to scroll through images while zoomed in?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Jan 4, 2013

Erik Ohlson wrote:

saudidave wrote:

No, you can't scroll through whilst zoomed in.

I have a TZ30 and previously a TZ8, TZ5 & TZ3. I've personally been a little disappointed so far with the IQ of the TZ30 - the TZ8 and TZ5 were a lot sharper and as a result of that I recently bought a Canon S100 for use in cities, when I don't need the reach of a 20x zoom. Erik Ohlson has recently posted his findings regarding the TZ30 and apertures. His testing has revealed that the optimum isn't stopped down as in film cameras, but wide open. With the limited testing I've done since it would appear he is right - images shot with the widest aperture available are much sharper. I've concluded that in future I'll shoot in AV, aperture at its widest, with iso set to auto - this caps it at 800 iso, which I find acceptable with the TZ30.

I find 2 spare batteries more than adequate for a days shooting, but then again I never use the GPS.

No, the ZS19/20 touch screen doesn't do anything USEFUL, such as what you ask

Dave,

Since I asked about comparative shots from S100 & ZS19/20, Mike Wrob posted these:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3358615?page=2 (Page 2 of thread)

I was a bit amazed that the larger-sensor S100 isn't as sharp overall as the ZS19 - and I had already found a nice, new S100 on eBay for a decent price. I sort of jumped the gun as I'll be traveling half-way around the world (Tasmania) in a couple of weeks.

Now I'm wondering about even opening the sealed box, or just waiting until I come back and selling it.

I DO wish my old TZ1 - bigger & heavier than the newer ones, had an "A" Mode, since it's lens opens to ƒ2.8! and, as a plus, my daughter in Tasmania, still has her old TZ1 so I wouldn't have to carry one!

-Erik

-- hide signature --

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Erik

From what I can see there, the S100 is recording way more detail of the structure of the trees. The larger sensor is showing its might and that in itself is significant. I've found personally that the difference in IQ between the ZS20 & S100 isn't massive until about iso 800 and then the S100 leaps in front with every increase. I do find also that the S100 is a lot sharper overall if you pixel peep, even at lower iso's. The ability to shoot at iso 1600 whilst retaining an image I can use is good for me.

Another factor is limiting us both here I suspect. I'm 60 yrs old a week tomorrow, you I know are a little older still. We were brought up in a times of austerity and perhaps we lose sight of the economic gains that prevail even in these chastened times. I've learnt over the last year or so that I can buy last years camera on ebay for a massive discount on its original price. I can buy it, play with it for a week or two and then sell it again for almost no loss, apart from ebay fees. I buy a £200.00 camera, try it and then sell it again and maybe it costs £40.00 to do so overall at most. If I were a drinker or a smoker I'd spend way more than that on my pleasures.

Open your sealed S100 box, have a play with your new toy and if it doesn't suit you, put it on ebay - someone will get a great camera at great price and you will get back most of your outlay. You may even make a profit - I often do! I try out lots of cameras and spend little in doing so.

I do remain convinced that you will like the S100 - break the seal, put to the test and the try it out. If you don;'t think it any better than your ZS19 , then sell it on ebay

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow