FZ200 with stacked teleconverters - hand held...yikes!

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
oregonyankee
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
FZ200 with stacked teleconverters - hand held...yikes!
Jan 4, 2013

Against all logic and common sense I recently decided to try taking some hand held shots (of birds) with stacked Nikon 1.5X and 1.7X teleconverters. To add some stability I mounted the entire rig on my BushHawk, as shown below.

So, what were my results? Out of the dozens of photos I took, only a few were even close to being keepers. By far (and as expected) nearly all were very blurry. Now, I'm not saying that any of the photos I'm posting are good.....just OK-ish. The whole point of my exercise was simply to "play" and see what could capture....and fun it was! I'm certainly not advocating anyone else try this. I just thought I'd share.

A really terrible photo of a Northern Harrier.

Rough-legged Hawk.

Spotted Towhee.

After a few hours of using the stacked lenses, I decided to use only the 1.7X teleconverter (even through the LCD, it wasn't hard to tell most of what I was previously snapping was total crud). Using this configuration, my "keeper" rate greatly increased. I've posted two photos taken with this set up below. Again, these aren't stellar photos, but they were far easier to capture. Needless to say, in the future, I'll stick to using only the 1.5X or 1.7X teleconverter when attempting any hand held shots.

Killdeer.

Kestrel.

oregonyankee's gear list:oregonyankee's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow