Your experiences with both the Oly 14-42 II kit lens and the Oly 12-50?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,645Gear list
Like?
The 14-42mm II R kit lens? Look elsewhere...
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Jan 4, 2013

Hi Ben,

Edit: I see that you have the Lumix 14-45mm. I really should read before I write...

I've enjoyed your posts here at dpreview for years. I'm glad to see that you are still active with your cameras. It seems to me that you are playing with the XZ compacts, too, right?

Forget the Olympus M Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R kit lens. I've had two; one came with my E-PL3 and one came with my E-PL5. Both were easily the worst lenses I've used in both 4/3 and m4/3. On the first on, I had to stop down to f/10 to get an image that I could call even close to sharp. And you know that f/10 on 4/3 is mostly a non-starter.

I am shooting primes now. I have the Lumix 8mm f/3.5, Zuiko 12mm f/2, PanLeica 25mm f/1.4, and Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. If I were to pick one as my all around useful fast sharp lens, it would be the 25mm. Second choice would be the 12mm.

I have not read the entire thread. I'm sure someone has suggested the Lumix 14-45mm if you can find one. I cannot recall reading a bad comment on that.

Jim Pilcher
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow