Upgrade 5Dc to 6D/5D MK3 or fast glass ?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jayfire124
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Upgrade 5Dc to 6D/5D MK3 or fast glass ?
Jan 4, 2013

I have a dilema and need your help/advice.
I have a 5Dc and 1D MKIII. The 1D MKIII was an impulse buy due to it being immaculate and sold to me by a friend. The reason behind buying it was purely to use as a camera to shoot my young children at play in the garden and park. The Al Servo on the 5Dc leaves a lot to be desired and never hit the mark when the kids were running around and as I had read a lot about the 1D and its uses I thought it would fit the bill. I have hardly had the opportunity to use it due both to the weather not being good and not really having any time. When I have used it I am not blown away by the images as I am with the quality of the 5Dc however I don't think that I have given it much of a chance in all fairness.
I have had the 5Dc for 5 years and only use the centre focus point so have had to always centre focus and recompose. Now any of you who use the 5Dc and 5D MKII know how the rate of keepers go down when shooting young kids (20 months and 4 years) by using that method (Al Servo also struggles to keep up). The other issue is that when shooting in low light I do not push the 5Dc above 800 iso and therefore struggle to get photos in focus at times when indoors in the winter. As most of my photography opportunities are now narrowed down to the kids and their friends I need to look for the best set up and would like one camera body to do it all; great in low light and great at taking shots of kids in action.
Alternatively I have considered faster glass but would not really know what to get as my existing 85mm 1.8 and canon 70-200 f2.8 'L' are not exactly slouches. I am veering towards primes with the red ring but am really at a point where I don't know which way to go.
For any of you who may have been in a similar situation I would like to hear which way you went. In other words, to shoot portraits, family (including young children who won't stand still and hate posing) and, when they grow a bit older and I have more time back, 'landscapes', if you had an additional £1000 to play with would you sell both cameras and put proceeds towards the 6D/5D3 or keep either/both cameras and buy fast glass ??
Sorry, I hope I haven't confused anyone and sorry for the rant. Help !!!!

Jayfire124's gear list:Jayfire124's gear list
Canon EOS 5D
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow