Rokinon 85 1.4 worth it on the 7D?

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dinsy
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Re: Rokinon 85 1.4 worth it on the 7D?
In reply to DozoTeach, Jan 4, 2013

DozoTeach wrote:

Hey I was looking to see if anyone uses the Rokinon 85 1.4. I purchased it b/c I was looking for a longer prime portrait lens and I got it at a great deal from an Amazon lightening deal. However I'm not sure if the non autofocus is something that I'm going to be able to get used to. My question is, is it worth keeping it for a great price or should I return it and save up for something with the AF. Does it get easier to judge focus, especially since I like the 1.4, but that means I'm inherently working in low light if I use that and that means it's just harder to tell if the focus is right (I'm talking about candids, not a set pose). Hmmm.

Thanks

Dozo

My 2 cents: I have the Samyang 85mm f1.4 (same lens, different branding) and the APS-C Canon 60D. I keep my B&W 3 stop ND filter on the lens permanently for daylight shots, and take it off for lower light. I'm constantly using the zoom focus of the 60D, that helps, and I've installed Magic Lantern and its focus peak tool is an incredibly useful focus aid. Magic Lantern also has a split screen focussing aid but I've gravitated to the focus peak. (It's a bit like having a focus point all over your live view screen. Anything in focus blinks furiously with pixels.) And of course I've heard of these focus confirm chips and may go down that path later.

But I would say that for candid shots, it may not be the best choice. The more you practise the better you'll get, especially if people are moving a lot. I tried over Christmas to photograph a young lad playing with my Dad in the family room, and he was very active and posed quite a challenge to get in focus. I got some nice shots, but it's probably a lens more suited to a tripod and fomal portraits.

Having said all that, I love the lens. Great results, and such fine control over its beautiful background blur. I think it's worth persevering with. That is, if you haven't already changed!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow