Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,969
Like?
Re: link to WSJ article about it...
In reply to malch, Jan 4, 2013

malch wrote:

Jim Cockfield wrote:

So, I just don't see how Intel can compete on price, since the ARM based devices (Set Top boxes and devices that serve the same purpose, phones, tablets, etc.) are going to end up with dramatically more market share for use with Web TV type content.

I don't see the price of the set top chips/box as an issue. Heck, I can buy an expensive set top box for the price of one months well loaded cable service. If it works and gives me access to good content with Netflix-type value, I don't much care if the box costs $50 or $100. And, in any event, Intel know how to drive price/volume learning curves.

More likely $200+ for an Intel solution, unless they subsidize the cost with a longer term plan that you'd buy.

But, I suspect that most users want a service that allows them to see that content on multiple devices, including their phones and tablets (and ARM based solutions are the leader in that segment right now).

Sure, they could implement dlna type features and provide apps for other platforms, too.  But, I just don't see content providers "biting", just because Intel wants to get into the WebTV business, as there are already other platforms (e.g., Android, IOS), with application vendors that content providers could negotiate with (Hulu, Netflix, Crackle, etc.).

If I were a content provider, I'd look at market share of the devices and platforms I'd be providing that content to, in order to estimate the number of users and subscriptions to it; and Intel's Web TV services (still "vaporware at this point) are an unknown in that area.

So, I would not make concessions on content pricing and flexibility to Intel, just because they say they're investing money in set top box offerings and services development.  I'd be more likely to go after a "sure thing" instead (ARM based devices running IOS and Android for starters), with a proven track record and increasing market share.

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow