Is the incidence of home invasions higher in UK or US?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
jivers
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?
Re: I think you know the difference.
In reply to CraigWestly, Jan 4, 2013

CraigWestly wrote:

jivers wrote:

CraigWestly wrote:

I heard a news person say that the UK has a much higher incidence of home invasions per capita than does the US. I've googled this and find much contradictory data. Can one of the Brits on this forum shed any light on this?

Since I cannot find a legal definition of "home invasion" I don't see how any reliable stats would be possible to derive since they rely on crime statistics.

However "burglary" in both countries is defined in a similar way as unauthorised entry to a property with the intent to commit a felony/crime, as are "homicide/murder" and "rape". So we could look at all three....

Just Google it: Definition of Home Invasion

A burglar probably wants the house empty so he can steal stuff undisturbed.

Please see definition below (same as in US I believe).

A home invader probably wants people at home so they can open safes and be available for rape or other bodily harm.

Just my own impressions.

My point was that it is NOT a defined crime, so there are no stats relating to it.

To be precise:

Home invasion is the act of illegally entering a private and occupied dwelling with violent intent for the purpose of committing a crime against the occupants such as robbery, assault, rape, murder, or kidnapping

However the definition of Burglary (similar US) is:

(1) A person is guilty of burglary if—(a) he enters any building or part of a building as a trespasser and with intent to commit any such offence as is mentioned in subsection (2) below; or(b) having entered any building or part of a building as a trespasser he steals or attempts to steal anything in the building or that part of it or inflicts or attempts to inflict on any person therein any grievous bodily harm.

So, any assault committed during a burglary or robbery (also US) is recorded as part of the robbery or burglary (as an aggravating factor). Rape, kidnapping and murder/attempted murder are recorded as "higher crimes" ie, if someone broke in and murdered someone it would be classed as murder not burglary since it attracts a higher penalty.

So, having provided stats for burglary (including assaults), murder and rape I still cannot see anything to indicate that "home invasion" is a "much worse" issue in the UK and in the case of attempted or actual homicide is most certainly is NOT!

Anyone who claims to know otherwise is almost certainly making stuff up.

And no, having a gun does not make any difference.

-- hide signature --

The process of observation changes that which is observed, hence you cannot photograph reality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow