ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PGSONY
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
5d M3 focus
Jan 4, 2013

Hi All,

I recently switched from a sony to after getting the 5d Mark 3 as a gift and I am still in the process of learning the canons functionality.

I have the 600ex rt flash and I went to a wedding reception last weekend to practice.  I had my camera set to one shot with the AF assist beam enabled.  I also have the back button set to focus on the picture while the shutter takes only the picture.

With the flash on, I had a difficult time locking focus on a subject. It just seemed like it would be slow to focus and would completly give no response at other times.  The room was a reception hall but not extremely dark.. had a lot of ambient light available.  At times my pics were great but not consistently.. sometimes too dark or blurry.. and at times I just couldn't lock the focus.  I don't know what I am doing wrong.  I did so much research before the event and learned that I had to keep the AF assist on my camera on with it on one shot mode but I still had issues.  Can anyone explain what I could have done differently, if anything?  Is it an issue with my camera?

The settings I was using (based on the photographers advice) was the following:  Iso 1600, SS bw 160-200, F stop around 2.8, I zoomed the flash to bounce at an angle.. zoom was at 200

The actual photographer that was there (who is much much more experienced I know).. was using a Nikon body.. and I noticed he did not even have to look through the viewfinder to confirm if his pics were in focus.. he was just going around on the dance floor quickly snapping pictures and I did see a few of his pics and all were clearly in focus and extremely sharp.  I concentrated on all my photos but had such a difficult time. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any advice!!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow