Your experiences with both the Oly 14-42 II kit lens and the Oly 12-50?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
Undefinable
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Jan 4, 2013

I have both lenses.  The 14-42 II is somewhat of an enigma.  At 14mm and 5.6 is amazingly sharp and will hold up against nearly everything for sharpness.  For the facts you can check this at slrgear.com.   As you zoom above 30mm you will need to jump to f8.0 for better sharpness as it gets softer (as most zooms do).

The 12-50 is just amazingly versatile but not quite as sharp (from the tests) but I really like it better than the 14-42.  I like the photo quality from this lens.  I have a lot of lenses including the 14mm, 20mm and 45mm but they are reserved for lower light and scenes where the added contrast and sharpness will pay dividends.  Add to that the 12-50 macro capability and you find a great, relatively expensive solution to outdoor, flash and movie shooting.  It's not a low light lens for sure.

I use the 12-50 everyday now, it's my general, on the spot, side of the road, gotta have it, shooter.

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow