FZ200 and Birding in Rainforest and Sunshine

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Questions thread
JerryElbow
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: FZ200 and Birding in Rainforest and Sunshine
In reply to dgcummins, Jan 4, 2013

My wife and I went to Costa Rica this past summer for bird-watching and I took my Panasonic FZ35. With the frequent rains, clouds and shade from the rain forest and the cloud forest, I found the speed of the lens at the telephoto end to be a bit slow for the shots I was trying to take (mostly handheld on hikes, to make it even worse). I really wish I could go back in time and try my new FZ300 instead. Longer zoom, faster lens and a couple generations worth of other improvments would make a definite difference. I mean, I got a number of pictures I'm pretty happy with (especially hummingbirds, flame tanagers and acorn woodpeckers at several feeders by the hotel in the cloud forest) but there are a few I wish I'd gotten better (especially the resplendant quetzal and some varieties of toucans and toucanettes).

Good luck with whatever camera you decided to take. I'm sure you'll love Costa Rica. It is a nature-lover's paradise!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow