photos: GRD4 - saguaros, yesterday afternoon

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
A Subset
Senior MemberPosts: 2,249Gear list
Like?
Re: photos: GRD4 - saguaros, yesterday afternoon
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, Jan 4, 2013

Thanks everyone.

The one that is a close up of detail was interesting.  It was quite flat, shot on the backside of the mountain under pure skylight.  So I processed it a bit in Lightroom, still in color (very flat and dull and mostly grey), then moved it over to NIK Silver Efex Pro 2 and did a lot of work there until I couldn't get it any better, but I still wasn't happy with it - it was too flat and blah.  So then back to Lightroom and I did a lot more work there and finally got it to have the shape and texture that spoke to me.

Saguaros are sorta difficult in that they are SO tall and skinny.  Especially with a wide angle lens.  Standing under them and shooting up just doesn't seem to make a picture that works for me.  But they are quite magnificent specimens of life.  They live a LONG time, grow very slowly, and it is rare to find a "baby," it apparently takes just the right conditions for a seed to succeed into a plant.

- A.

A Subset's gear list:A Subset's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE A1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Ricoh GR Digital IV +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow