Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,720Gear list
Like?
Argument for NO post processing.
Jan 4, 2013

I'm referring to NOT bothering to do any time consuming post processing in front of the computer other than maybe cropping and compositional modifications.  Here's why I feel this way.  And while we are at it, NO RAW, either.

Basically it's a major case of "what you see, is not always what you get".

1) You take the picture.  Review it on your camera's LCD, and agree that it has potential.

2) You go home and view it on your computer screen.  You see it as a bit different now, but looks mighty good enlarged to fit the screen.

3) You decide to make a print, and visit you local kiosk.  On their kiosk's screen it looks darker (or maybe lighter) than you thought it was when reviewed on your LCD, and then personal computer screen.  So you either lighten or darken until it looks good on the kiosk screen.

4) You make the print.  It comes out wrong.  Too light (or too dark), but not as you had intended.

If this has happened to me once, it's happened 100s of times.  In fact almost every time.  So why should I bother to spend time tweeking images (especially RAW images), when everything will result in differences when all is said and done?

I know that the LCD is a poor judge of quality.  But every phase that I have used in quest of my final print has variables that are NOT fully realized until I see the finished print.

Which one of these steps can I truly count on?  Sounds to me like NONE of them.

I either have my prints made on one of the many local kiosk, or I send them to a custom lab, and pay through the nose.  And then this brings up the question.....do I dare ask such labs to print as is, or make modifications as they see fit?

What to do?  What to do?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DIYNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow