Sony does it again... no true international Apps support !

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
lesnapanda
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony does it again... no true international Apps support !
In reply to nosnoop, Jan 4, 2013

nosnoop wrote:

lesnapanda wrote:

Of course you can read the reviews, but just don't expect you can get everything you have read about in your own country. For example, Mercedes in US gets free MBrace service for a period of time; Mercedes in UK can surf the internet after linking with your cell phone; many cars GPS in US has live traffic info. None of these is available in my country.

Yes - but please admit that there is a difference between an added service for a car and an internal feature of a camera (which is advertised by Sony as an important feature of the nex 6 and the new 5). One thing is Sony being fair to customers and putting the information like “this feature is only available in a limited number of countries and may be severely restricted in some regions” on every page describing this feature (not only on regional sites). The other thing is – they probably don’t really have a valid reason for treating customers from one part of the world in a worse way than others. After all – you don’t pay less for the camera in those countries (in fact – you often pay much more). A camera is not a car – it is a small, inexpensive (relatively) object that you can buy being on vacation, may want to buy for a friend of yours who lives in another country, etc.

I know that Sony is not the only company doing so. Google does it with their Play store, amazon does it partially with their shops and kindle offering, apple does it too, blackberry also (and many many more). It follows the same flawed logic as dvd regions and hopefully it will soon become equally obsolete. We are living in a global economy world where boundaries disappear every day more and more – why put in place such restrictions? I, for myself, try not to support corporations treating people in different parts of the world differently without any good reason for this.

lesnapanda's gear list:lesnapanda's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow