How to get Aperture to equal LightRoom's highlight recovery

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Questions thread
Terrance Vacha
Contributing MemberPosts: 917Gear list
Like?
Re: How to get Aperture to equal LightRoom's highlight recovery
In reply to Mark B UK, Jan 4, 2013

Mark B UK wrote:

I recently switched from Aperture to Lightroom hoping for improved highlight recovery (I use an Olympus E-M5). However I'm finding the learning curve steep, and recently read a post here suggesting that there are ways of getting as much highlight detail from RAW files using Aperture as is possible with Lightroom. So far, I'm finding Lightroom much better in this regard.

If it's true that as much detail can be recovered/preserved in highlights using Aperture I'd appreciate advice on how to do it (simply using the highlight slider doesn't seem to do it for me). Alternatively if anyone knows of a good online tutorial aimed at converting Aperture users to Lightroom I'd appreciate the recommendation.

I am late to this thread. Generally when I find that one slider just doesn't do enough, I add an additional duplicate adjustment -- in this case adding another "highlights/shadows" adjustment panel. But there is only a certain amount of recovery one can do before things look really bad, even with raw files.

Terrance Vacha's gear list:Terrance Vacha's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron SP AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow