For those on the fence for a "wanabee E-620" killer landscape body.

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,129Gear list
Like?
Panasonic G3, thanks
In reply to goblin, Jan 4, 2013

goblin wrote:

... The Panasonic G3 m43 camera (body only) is currently on sale for $249 pretty much everywhere in the US (Amazon, B&H...).

... the G3 is an excellent little camera, very similar in handling to an E-620 (same form factor, same screen articulation, pretty much the same feeling in handling), which will make an excellent landscape beast (late gen 16mp sensor and whatnot) with 4/3 lenses through an adapter.

... it's an excellent base for an infrared conversion.

Thanks Goblin,

I've been looking for a m4/3 for my wife, who wants a simple P&S. But I know we can find her a m4/3 with better IQ for about the same price. She wants it for capturing moments and being able to make decent prints. She also wants a small pocketable/purse camera.

The price at B&H and Adorama is $299 for the body only. No kit options are available at these 2 retailers. The least expensive lens I find is the Panasonic 14-42 mm f/3.5-5.6 with OIS for $149. That puts the cost around $450. This would be an excellent walk about, auto everything, snapshot camera for my wife who's not interested in using manual exposure control.

I'm also looking at an Olympus EP-1 with the kit 14-42 lens. These can be found refurbished or new for less than $450. How do you think these compare in size, IQ and use?

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow