Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
paintballnsk
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
I need a decent video lens, and a great portrait lens for low light
Jan 4, 2013

I have a D7000. I have the kit 18-105 lens, and a bunch of other lenses I had left over from an 80's nikon 35mm camera. The 18-105 is fine to play with and everything, but rarely does it take a photo that blows me away.

My favorite lens in the bag is the 50mm f2.0. It just takes awesome photos in low light. However, without AF, it's tougher to use for video. I primarily use it for band stuff in lower light. Videos have a lot of me running/rolling around.

So I really want a Nikon 24mm f1.8D AF. I also really want a Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC. I don't have the budget for both.

Would getting the prime and a Nikon 24-85 3.5g VR get me where I need to be. Or will I always be itching for the 24-70? I need something with VR, so it kind of rules out the Nikon 24-70. I dont know if the 3.5 is going to be enough. Does the 24-70 perform well enough at 24 where I wouldn't miss the 24mm prime?

I can get the Tamron between $950 and $1300. I can get the 24mm for $300, and the 24-85 for about $550.

I was also thinking of getting:

24mm f1.8D AF $300

50mm f1.8G AF $220

70-300mm VR $400

After dealing with the 18-105 I'm a little gunshy of buying stuff without trying it, and I'm a little gunshy of DX lenses. It works great, and as a plug and go shooter it's fine. But having a few other lenses to choose from, I can tell there's just something that it's lacking.

Thanks

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow