Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
scphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505Gear list
Like?
Underwater photo questions???
Jan 4, 2013

I just ordered a Panasonic TS20 for underwater use (snorkeling) for my upcoming trip to Hawaii. I got it because it was inexpensive ($140USD) and seemed to have acceptable performance for my needs. I only plan on using the camera occasionally. I plan on taking "snapshot" quality photos with it underwater. Also, I got the 2 year damage/replacement protection plan from Amazon ($25USD).

The only experience I have with underwater photography is using the disposable underwater film cameras in years past. They worked OK, but don't come anywhere near the features offered by digital cameras. I own three other pannys ... FZ150, TZ3, & FZ130 ... and a Nikon D300. I'm very happy with all of them.

So here are my questions. I plan to do most of my photography near the surface.

1. Should I use the flash underwater? What's the approx. flash range at full wideangle? I plan on shooting at ISO800 to reduce motion blur caused by subject (fish) movement. Good idea?

2. What settings should I use underwater? I assume it has an underwater white balance setting???

3. How rugged is "rugged". I try to keep my "land cameras" away from sand and sea water as much as possible. Actually, I am mostly worried about the sand on the beach getting into the external  moving parts and causing them to jam. Should I be extra careful on the beach or just throw it on the beach towel when I'm not using it?

4. Any other suggestions? I'm generally familiar with Pannys and I consider myself an "experienced amateur" picture-taker on land. (I call myself a "picture taker" because I don't think I've quite earner the title of "photographer".)

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

- Simon

scphoto's gear list:scphoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 (Lumix DMC-FT20) Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow