Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
offroadcmpr
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
Re: Sound like "vaporware" so far
In reply to malch, Jan 4, 2013

malch wrote:

offroadcmpr wrote:

I agree it is unfair to those who are paying for something that they don't want.

Yeah, but it's worse than unfair. It's inefficient and inhibits proper operation of the market.

Chances are there are millions of people who are subsidizing the channels that you watch too. Every single channel would have to downsize or shutdown, which means both the big players and the small players will fight it long and hard.

The problem is that they have no incentive to change. In fact they have an incentive to not change. The only way it will change is if they are forced to, or it somehow becomes profitable to. Intel can try to push for change, but until they can give them an incentive they won't.

I think eventually we will get there, I just can't see Intel as the ones who will force it through. Unless of course Intel has some trick up their sleeve that no one else has thought of yet. For now all you can really do is vote with your wallet and give up cable until they give you what you want. As long as people keep on paying for cable packages they will stay.

Well folks are starting to cut the cable entirely so ultimately this becomes a matter of survival (a moderately significant incentive!).

I don't know whether Intel will succeed either but, apparently, they are throwing a lot more money at the problem than Netflix, Apple, Microsoft et al. Commitment is a powerful force.

Predictions are hard. Who would have thunk that Apple would be the ones to save the music industry from a similarly obsolete business model? But, with iTunes, they did.

I hope they succeed. There are only a few channels that I watch, and I would love to be able to watch them again. My guess is that eventually there will be enough people cutting the cable(or like me who graduated college a couple years ago and never got it) that it will be better for them to take the hit and get some money instead of none. I just don't know if we are at that point yet. But getting there I hope.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow