How to measure tripod shake? (windy beach with long exposures)

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
Pelagic
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
How to Compare Tripod Shake?
In reply to SPW1981, Jan 4, 2013

A standard means to compare support systems is with a laser pointer taped or rubber-banded to your lens.  Point it at a paper target 30 feet away.  Draw a circle around the light pattern for each tested system.  The smallest circle wins.  If the circle doesn't get smaller you've found the best price/weight/performance point.

I've fired shutters, played with mirror lock up,  tapped the end of a long lens and measured the time until the ringing stopped.

Be forewarned you may not be happy with what you own.

You can use this measurement scheme to easily test your field craft.  How tight is tight for an Arca clamp, different heads,  head adjustments,  etc, etc.

Sorry I've never seen isolated circle sizes to rate support systems.  Only used this method for real world comparisons and improving my craft.

-- hide signature --

ted
::::;;;;

Pelagic's gear list:Pelagic's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow