Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS or Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Epic Light
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
Re: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS or Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF
In reply to aspalmat, Jan 4, 2013

aspalmat wrote:

Here is the report on the Sigma. Bought it after work, got home, put it on my camera(D5100), and it will not auto focus. It hunts, and hunts, and hunts. If the camera does take a picture, it is blurry.

Obviuosly, this one is going back. To bad, the lens feels pretty good in my hand. The build quality feels good, but the lens will not auto focus.

This is exactly the problem as described in some user reviews on the web. I meant to take my camera to test for this, but forgot it when I left the house this morning.

Now the question is, do I try another copy of the lens, or just bag it. I'm not ready to plunk down the cash for the Nikon, so maybe it's just back to the drawing board for awhile.

You get what you pay for.  Eventually you will learn just like I did.  Mark my words, you ever won't be happy with generic lenses, especially for VR, AF, and build.

-- hide signature --

d800e, 16-35vr, 24 pce, 28g, 50/1.4d, 85/1.4g, zeiss 21
gitzo 5531s, RRS bh55,
sb910, 3 sb900s, 3 sb800s, 6 vintage vivitar 285hv, 3 PW flexttl, PW minittl, PW AC3
nikon j1, 18.5/1.8
sony RX100
"always just one light modifier away from greatness"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow