Sony DT 18-250 max zoom

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Chris Malcolm
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony DT 18-250 max zoom
In reply to vw671, Jan 4, 2013

Perhaps there's some sample variation. The 18-250mm was the first Sony lens I bought. When I got round to thinking of buying new lenses to cover shorter and longer focal lengths one of the things I carefully tested it for was just how good (or bad) the wide and long ends of the zoom were. Was there no point for example in zooming out to 250mm because you could get the same resolution from cropping down a 150mm or 200mm shot? If 150mm was in fact the maximum effective zoom of the lens then I should start the length of a new zoom at no more than 150mm otherwise there would be a gap in the range.

I decided that (on my copy, and after correcting the original AF backfocus) that the 250mm was a real extension which gave real benefits in extra resolution -- but not much.

Now that I have a good handful of prime lenses which can go down to much wider apertures, and which generally speaking are sharper at f5.6 than at f8, I've been surprised to discover that it's actually not easy to tell the difference between one of my primes at f8, and the 18-250mm at f8 and the same focal length. I doubt if many viewers would spot the difference on an A4 print.

-- hide signature --

Chris Malcolm

Chris Malcolm's gear list:Chris Malcolm's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow