D600: A gazillion EV of dynamic range isn't worth squat if your camera won't focus or meter properly Locked

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Kelly M Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 398
Re: D600: A gazillion EV of dynamic range isn't worth squat if your ca...
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Jan 4, 2013

Daniel Lauring wrote:

garyhgaryh wrote:

It looks like your focus point was the background not the kid. What was your AF mode set to?

Can you post the image with the EXIF?

The camera was doing what it was suppose to do, but the background was what it was focusing and metering on.

How long did it take you to compose this shot? Did the kid just run into the view in LV and you quickly snapped the picture?

Gary

I'm trying to figure out the best way to dump the EXIF to a text file and post it here. This was just your typical event shot...like you'd have at a wedding or party. The child was running around getting attention wearing the hat. I got him to pose for me and tried to take a quick snapshot because we all know kid's won't do anything too long. When that failed I started fumbling with settings furiously trying to get something to work. I think I even shot from the hip in viewfinder mode to see if LV was the problem but by then the kid was already totally impatient and may have turned away. Besides this shot I threw a ton more away. I got a really low keep rate with the D600 compared to the OMD. On the other hand, even with a F2.8 lens the OMD had way too much DOF on many shots. I had the best results when I paired the OMD with a F1.4 and F1.8 prime.

That's certainly frustrating when you are just trying to get a snapshot. It's pretty obvious that the focus point is behind the subject and the exposure meter is weighting that focus point heavily which blew out the subject in the foreground. The question is if this is user error, a settings error, or the camera is defective. I've never had an issue like this with my D600, so I 'm not sure what is happening. One idea that comes to mind is if your initial focus point is on the subject when you half-press the shutter release button. If, for instance, you initially focused on something behind the subject with a half-press of the shutter release button, then moved the focus point over the subject while still half-pressing the shutter release button, then the AF point might still be locked onto something behind the subject. Anyways, good luck with getting this figured out. If worse comes to worse, take it to your local camera shop have them test it. These types of photos should be very simple for a D600, especially if you are in P or A mode.

Good Luck,

Kelly

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Re:New
DougNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow