D4 owners who do video: do you have auto ISO during movie capturing in Manual?

Started Jan 2, 2013 | Questions thread
RickD
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 owners who do video: do you have auto ISO during movie capturing in Manual?
In reply to M Lammerse, Jan 3, 2013

I don't shoot much video, but you made me curious so I tried it out, and found the following:

There is no auto ISO in video mode when the camera is on manual.  Shutter speed maxes out at 1/30, aperture stay at the values you have set, and the picture will over or underexpose accordingly.

All other modes use auto ISO even when it is set to OFF in the menu.

In P mode the lens stays wide open, and exposure is adjusted first by Auto ISO down to 200, then shutter speed shortens.

S mode functions exactly like P mode. The lens stays wide open, and the camera ignores user input re shutter speed - it stays at 1/30 until ISO would have to go below 200, and then shortens appropriately. If you set shutter speed at something else and then turn on video, it changes to 1/30 (as long as needed ISO >=200).

A mode functions like S and P mode, except you get to set the aperture, and the camera adjusts ISO accordingly.  This would let you trade depth of field for ISO.

S mode you can't actually change shutter speed - it stays at 1/30.  If you set it at something else and then turn on video, it reverts to 1/30.  Exposure is adjusted entirely by AutoISO.  Aperture stays wide open, and I was unable to make it change  even by pointing the camera directly at a light bulb close up.  Essentially the same as P mode.

In A mode the shutter speed stays at 1/30, aperture goes where you set it, and the camera adjusts exposure by changing ISO.

Thanks for asking the question - figuring out the answer was interesting and fun, and taught me something about how my camera behaves.  I hope the information is useful to somebody - as I said, I don't shoot much video, so the above may have been obvious to someone who does.

-- hide signature --

RickD

RickD's gear list:RickD's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow