Is Panny G5 JPEG color as good as Oly color now, particularly skin tones?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Questions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,712Gear list
Like?
Re: Many thanks, Allan. Is there a difference between G3 and G5 color?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Jan 3, 2013

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

I have had the impression what what I have read that there has been change with each model.

Cheers, geoff

i have G5, GH3 and E-PL5 - the Oly JPEGs are still superior I am afraid - nicer color and better high ISO. But I mostly shoot raw and the Panne colors are fine in Lightroom

Thanks for that input Marco. The higher ISO is not really  a concern -- I shoot pretty much  everything at base ISO.

Working on some recent assignments with the E-PL3, I finally clarified in my mind (where else? :)) something that has been nagging me for some time. Under expose dark skin by a stop or even half a stop and Oly JPEG loses color in the shadows. There is just no shadow color. it is just gray/black. In addition, the lighter areas turn to mud.

I expect from what I have read about the EM5 sensor that this is vastly improved in the E-PL5. From what I have read about the GH2 sensor, it should be better too.

Anyway, very useful input, thank you.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow