Is Panny G5 JPEG color as good as Oly color now, particularly skin tones?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Questions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,198Gear list
Like?
Re: Is Panny G5 JPEG color as good as Oly color now, particularly skin tones?
In reply to ADSinger, Jan 3, 2013

ADSinger wrote:

Given all the internal color and white balance settings available in Panasonic's cameras as well as the ability to use native Lightroom corrections and custom profiles, it is certainly possible to obtain whatever colors you want from pretty much any m4/3 camera.

With the G1, Alan, I adjusted color balance internally but it was not really a solution. The problem was that you could adjust the balance for e.g. full sunlight, but when you took a pic under different circumstances the balance was wrong.

For example, early morning or late afternoon full sunlight is redder -- when I had adjusted the red of full sunlight correctly for the middle of the day, early or late pix came out yucky. The balance simply wasn't right.

Even at the optimum adjustment level, however, I could never match the Oly or Kodak (P880) colors.

This is a way over analyzed topic in my opinion.

Frankly, I would have to disagree. Most users use JPEG color so it is very important, I think. Only a small proportion of users process RAW files in Lightroom. I certainly don't -- and won’t.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow