Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
taffyb
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Help please - nex 3, 5R or 6? Then do I get the upgrade lens kits? In a pickle
Jan 3, 2013

Ok so long story short, I've read & read & read &, read reviews, this forum, I've asked in shops & I'm completely confused?

I recently bought the F3 for my father back in the summer with the standard lens & although I had high expectations after reviews & recommendations that the NEX cameras are great, both me & my father were blown away with how good the camera was. In fact the only downside was the fact that the standard lens supplied made it quite bulky & just beyond the realms of making it a large travel / everyday camera.

However, even with my dads complete lack of anything besides point shoot & my keen to learn amateur skills, we both loved the camera.

Fast forward to now & I'd like to upgrade from my what must be well over 5yr old sony touch screen point & shoot to my very own NEX; this is where I gets difficult.

My desirables are in no particular order:

A camera that can take stills in nearly all scenarios good enough to print off & put up in our home. A camera that I can learn to use from basic point & shoot to learning how to utilise the manual features & ultimately find out if being a serious photographer (DSLR) would be something that'd interest me.

cont. The camera would be my main camera, with only my iphone & old compact where its too risky to use the NEX. My camera would also be used by complete amateur girlfriend.

I would take videos sometimes, but it'd be mostly for stills & the camera would be an investment to keep & use for the next 4-5 years (Hopefully).

Now this is where it gets interesting - as it'd be primarily my main camera which I'd like to take & use everywhere with me, portability & ease of use, quickly & in any scenario to get the best shot plays a huge part.

At the moment in the UK I can get the following:

NEX 3 standard F3k £300 & with the additional zoom F3D £400

NEX 5R standard 5R £450 & with what I think is the NEX6 Lens 5RL £600 & then standard zoom plus the larger zoom 5RY can't find many / any stockists?

NEX 6 standard 6L around £600 & the 6Y around £730.

My main problem is I can't work out which is better for my situation? & ultimately how I should spend my hard earned & saved cash?

The 3 comes only with the larger lens & I'm worried my not be advanced enough for me. The 5 doesn't have a built in flash (chances of me always carrying it are slim) & loses the flip screen of the 3; a nice feature but one I could forget about.

The 5RL does interest me, but its the same cost as the 6, so is it really worth it?

Then comes the 6 - it initially ticks all boxes; smallest, built in flash, newest tech & has nice additions like the EVF etc.

But is it worth the extra cash & if so would it be worthwhile really stretching myself to the limit & getting the extra loom lens (6Y) & then I've got it for the future?

I know I'm asking a lot for advice, but I'm going round in circles & would like some people in the know to help.

Thank you for reading my thread & I look forward to any helpful feedback.

Cheers Brent

Ps - yes I know I'm a nuisance & asking a lot

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow