Mac Mini: Please help me figure out where I should invest my upgrade?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
monkeyrpn
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Mac Mini: Please help me figure out where I should invest my upgrade?
Jan 3, 2013

Hi all,

I have just purchased a D800. I've been playing around with it, shooting random things. I do noticed that I'm having a bit of issue with the huge RAW files. I currently have a Mac Mini "Core i7" 2.7 (mid-2011), I have upgraded the RAM to 8 GB. I routinely use Lightroom 4 and CS6 to do my post processing. I have all my photos stored in an external 500GB harddrive, connected to the Mac via USB 2.0.

I have noticed that while processing the RAW files in Lightroom, I'm getting quite a bit of lag when making adjustments. I have some extra cash to make upgrades on the Mac, but I'm not sure where I should invest.

I've thought of a few options:

1) Upgrade internal harddive to a SSD and boot my system off it, then move photos to the internal harddrive (thinking maybe it's the USB 2.0 speed that's bottle-necking everything)

2) Upgrade RAM to 16 GB.

3) Wait for more affordable options for external harddrive enclosures that will work with the Thunderbolt.

-- hide signature --

M.K

www.flickr.com/photos/monkeyrpn/

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow