viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,779Gear list
Like?
Re: NX300 Official - See the News!
In reply to mathOS, Jan 3, 2013

mathOS wrote:

Hello,

My opinion about the announced NX300:

I'm really glad they focus on improving AF speed and processing speed !

The tilting screen is a nice addition and touch-to-focus on screen should mean touch-to-focus on smartphone via remote viewfinder (and that would be really useful !)

The retro-design will look great with pancake lenses !

If it had to be my upgrade from my NX10, I'm afraid I'd miss an EVF.

About the 3D lens, I don't know what to think and I wonder if the 3D option will impact on 2D IQ. Also I wonder if the 45mm could have been more compact if they had not engineered it with 3D in mind.

What do you think ?

Best regards,

-- hide signature --

I agree, seems like a nice update and it looks like Samsung is working at rectifying major issues like processing performance.

I don't think 3d will make any difference in image quality.  It sounds like there is an internal LCD (like what a projector uses) in the lens, this blocks light rays coming from one direction, then it will switch which pixels are blacked out, and then capture a second image with light rays from the other direction.  I imagine if this is blocking half the light, you will see a 1 stop reduction in light gathering when you are using it in 3d, plus any loss through the LCD.

I think a really cool feature for this would be to make an adjustable ND filter.  This LCD could automatically adjust to dim the sky for example and reduce the light from bright light sources to increase scene dynamic range.  Something I always wanted to do if I designed my own camera would be to put an LCD over the sensor for this very purpose.  I hadn't thought about 3d aspects of it.  It would probably take some work to make this work right, but would be pretty cool (not sure if they can grey out pixels in the LCD or if they have to turn them totally black)

As for size?  It is possible that this is why the 45mm f/1.8 is larger than it could be, extra space for this LCD near the diaphragm.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
3DNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow