Is Panny G5 JPEG color as good as Oly color now, particularly skin tones?

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Questions thread
gary payne
Contributing MemberPosts: 602
Like?
Re: Lightroom adjustments for Panny files?
In reply to Philly, Jan 3, 2013

I still own the G1, Gh1, Gh2 and have now about a month of use of the G5.

Color may be a very subjective area for discussion.  But for jpegs, the Oly jpeg default is superior to any of the Panasonic default settings in my judgement.  But I shoot raw so this is not an issue for me, and as has been mentioned color is very easily tuned in Lightroom 4.3 or the earlier versions.  As has also been mentioned in this thread, it's possible to set color preference in camera in advance of shooting.  However, I couldn't get the realistic colors I wanted that way.

The various film modes that Panasonic incorporates also allow a lot of options.  In the G5 I am shooting in Nature or Scenery modes (which also affect "raw" color outcomes) and I am pretty happy with both, less so with Standard film mode which is still a bit off...greens are too yellow but better than with the previous bodies.

The beauty of shooting raw is that you can really fine tune your colors and everything else.  I usually turn down the contrast, sharpness, saturation and noise reduction in each film mode (easily done) and then add them back in raw processing as needed, it's a better way to tune these aspects. There are sliders for red vs green and blue vs. yellow, etc.  So you can get whatever you want.

Nevertheless, if you don't want to spend the time to process raws...Oly is a great way to go.

I do love the G5, especially for the price.  The pinpoint crosshair focus and silent shutter are fabulous upgrades for wildlife and even street photos of people.  The metering is also better, I am able to shoot at 0ev much more often.  And the 5 might be a hair cleaner (new processor) than the GH2.  So far, not regretting canceling my GH3 order.

gp

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow